Excellent little PCB. It’s stuffed full but ample room for working the soldering iron. There are one or two things I would go about differently when it came time to soldering the pots, but it was a trouble free build, no real surprises. I caught one solder bridge (between the 1N4001’s) during inspection . Other than that, it was a trouble free build, even for these old eyes.
I have access to a Silver Centaur. The Refractor is as close as it gets. It’s akin to splitting hairs with 1N270’s (which I think were closer than the 1N34A’s that I tried). I’m skeptical of the original diodes all being 1N34’s but that’s a moot point. I have some more Ge’s to play with but I should have built this pedal a long time ago. Just excellent. Thank you for the effort.
Modifications or part substitutions
I found a schematic and report for the original silver. It indicated the locations where carbon film resistors were used. I followed that and used carbon films in those positions. I thought it would be a cool detail. Other than that, I stuck to the script. I used Panasonic and Nichicon lytics. Otherwise, I did not use any fancy passives. Inexpensive box and dipped film caps and no name 1/4 watt resistors. I did meter every component before building. I socketed the GE diode positions. This pedal is quiet, really quiet.