Build Reports

Showing 3 build reports for the Corona project. Submit yours →

Pat
Score:
9

Rate it:

A great little OD!

Project: Corona (Boss OD-1 OverDrive)

Build description

This is my Boss OD-1 build. I used parts I already had around, so it differs somewhat from the straight Aion build instructions. All values are identical to Kevin’s build instructions, however. The enclosure is a little bigger, the jacks are oriented differently and the pots and switches aren’t board mounted. The only part I didn’t already have was the RC3403 chip. The big Mylar caps I used almost didn’t fit in some spaces. I’d go with the smaller Panasonic caps if you are ordering your parts for this project.

This was a smooth build the whole way through and the pedal worked perfectly the first time I plugged it in. It sounds fantastic; nice, smooth and fluid tone with a little bite to it. I used MOSFET’s for the other clipping section and they sound maybe a little more saturated and “rounder” than the stock diodes. The second switch is great for adding low end and fullness and sounds especially good, IMO, when used with the neck pickup (single coil or humbucker) and the drive knob at or near max. This gives you a beautiful, fat, sustaining tone for leads. With the stock asymmetrical diode arrangement, the mod switch off and drive knob set at noon or higher, this thing just exudes classic rock rhythm tones when playing on the bridge pickup, especially with a humbucker. A keeper!

Modifications or part substitutions

No mods other than the clipping and bass mod switches that are already included in the build, if you decide to add them. I recommend including them since they add to the pedal’s versatility and the solder pads are already included.

CHITO
Score:
3

Rate it:

A CROWN FOR A CLASSIC OD

Project: Corona (Boss OD-1 OverDrive)

Build description

RESISTORS: All 1% metal film – NO value substitution.

CAPACITORS: Panasonic solid polymer caps for C9 & C10, a CDE dipped silver mica cap on CX2. I made mistakes in my build on the Corona by using wrong cap values. I have since removed and replaced the wrong part(s). This resubmitted build report rectifies those errors too. I used a low ESR 1uF Nichichon electro in C5 and a 10uF Panasonic solid polymer cap in C7. I had to install C2 in the solder side of the PCB because it was in the way of the OpAmp insertion. A smaller size cap would have been okay but I just preferred to install a WIMA box cap. I only tried 3 kinds of OpAmps so I can’t tell if other brands of the same type would be okay.

OP AMPs: Tested the unit with Texas Instrument MC3403 first then the Raytheon RC3403 and TL074. I liked the sound of the TL074.

CLIP MODS: AION suggested mods; Boss OD-1 & SD-1 (asymmetrical clipping) & ZenDrive using the obsolete green-banded 1N34 diodes from my NOS.

Installed Small Bear’s light plate that has become a part of my pedal projects. This is also one reason why I prefer to use the 125B enclosures. They make good light plates for this model.

EQUIPMENTS: Marshall JVM 205H head / Marshall 1960A cab / IBANEZ S5470Q guitar. ESP Korean-made JH-600 model guitar with EMG pickups. Only Corona OD is connected.

TEST RESULTS: I haven’t used a Boss OD-1 yet so I can’t compare this unit to it but I’m very impressed with AION-added EQ circuit. The bass boost is clearly audible at the flick of the toggle switch. Except for the diode lift mod, the Volumes of the other two clip mods I chose doesn’t differ much in Volume, which I really like better so I don’t have to twiddle with the V knob.

Kudos to Kevin & the AION tech staff for a superb re-design of the classic Boss OD-1.

Please share your build experience on the Corona OD with us. Thanks for reading.

shaska
Score:
1

Rate it:

Brioss Driver

Project: Corona (Boss OD-1 OverDrive)

Build description

It sounds very “Boss”, with many of mid range frequencies.
I choose MOSFET clipping, but I put sockets to experiment different solutions.

I replaced CX1 capacitor with a smaller one.
After some days of playing, I removed CX2 capacitor.

Modifications or part substitutions

CX1 100 nF instead of 330 nF, because of too much bass (for my taste, of course!).
CX2 removed