Build Reports

Showing 8 build reports for the Aurora project. Submit yours →

Zico
Score:
9

Rate it:

Ross Compressor

Project: Aurora (Ross/Dyna Compressor)
Variant: Modified Ross / Keely Attack knob, C1 changed

Build description

I am really enjoying building the Aion projects, I think this is build number 6 The projects are well thought out and the documentation fantastic.

This is my second Aurora, the first did not work and after several days of tracing figured it was a counterfeit CA3080E. I ordered a new PCB and got the real IC from SmallBear and proceeded to build one that does work. Really happy with it. I changed C1 to 150 pf, mainly because i had it in stock and after reading the build docs sounded like the right choice.

I noticed the silkscreen was corrected on the pcb
the build doc may need an update to note this 🙂

I used water slide decals which I still challenging but am getting better at it

Really happy with the sound of the compressor

Modifications or part substitutions

C1 changed to 150pf

Boba7
Score:
7

Rate it:

Custom Comp

Project: Aurora (Ross/Dyna Compressor)

Build description

I just finished building this compressor for a friend of mine, and it is amazing.
The pcb is extremely well designed, it suits my needs perfectly.

I used the Ross values and a pot for the attack function. Kept the default values for the treble switch, which is very useful in my opinion.

Compared to my other Ross compressor (HBE CPR), it sounds slightly better to my ears, and can be more versatile thanks to the attack knob (my HBE only has a trimpot for that) and the treble switch. Plus mine has top mounted jacks and dc jack!

I drilled a hole in the back of the pedal to access the input trimmer, just in case.

It’s my second aionelectronics project, and it won’t be the last. Great job designing the pcb guys, thanks a lot for your great work.

haradamajstor
Score:
6

Rate it:

Pickhammer

Project: Aurora (Ross/Dyna Compressor)
Variant: Modified Ross

Build description

Another great PCB from Aion. I used the Ross values and attack pot. Didn’t choose the treble switch, but I slightly modified output section to get more highs. The enclosure is 125B due to the need for optional battery power. The graphics are inkjet printed on a white water decal. I’m very pleased with how everything turned out.

Modifications or part substitutions

– Attack pot is C200K with 470K resistor in parallel (in place of RX2) .
– 1,5nF capacitor in parallel with R18.

Jason
Score:
4

Rate it:

Ross/Ross Compressor

Project: Aurora (Ross/Dyna Compressor)
Variant: Modified Ross

Build description

I recently finished my first non-drive project, the Aurora compressor. When planning out the graphics, I was looking for something funny and fitting. What do you put on a Ross Compressor? How about a Bob Ross painting! Since the PCB was called the Aurora, this painting seemed fitting. This is another of my projects UV printed by Pedal Parts Plus.

I liked the symmetry of the two switches, so I went with those instead of the pot for “Attack” This sounds really good, and is the input to my new board.

Heathfball20
Score:
2

Rate it:

3 Knob Compressor

Project: Aurora (Ross/Dyna Compressor)
Variant: Ross Variant

Build description

Not much to say other than I really enjoy this compressor. I’ve only ever played with a Keeley 4 Knob (borrowed from a friend), Saw this PCB and figured I’d make my own variant of one. Build one, I doubt you’ll be disappointed. The last photo are all AION builds I’ve done so far. All excellent pedals!

Modifications or part substitutions

Attack Knob

Dave
Score:
11

Rate it:

Keeley Comp Clone

Project: Aurora (Ross/Dyna Compressor)
Variant: Ross/Keeley

Build description

Great build doc; used the default values for the treble switch. Tantalum caps used where possible. Put a clickless footswitch in this one.

Gordo
Score:
0

Rate it:

Aurora Comp

Project: Aurora (Ross/Dyna Compressor)
Variant: Jangled Keeley?

Build description

This one is all the Ross parts and tantalum caps for the 1uF’s. I’ve been building for a very long time and this Ross was on my bucket list. Adding Keeley and Janglebox mods made it an easy sell. This is an easy-ish build and a really nice sounding comp. Really nicely laid out board.

Modifications or part substitutions

Stock

CHITO
Score:
0

Rate it:

HYBRID COMP

Project: Aurora (Ross/Dyna Compressor)
Variant: Ross / toggle 'Attack' switch mod

Build description

RESISTORS: Xicon brand metal film / no resistor value substitution on this project.

CAPACITORS: Solid polymers, low ESR electros, CDE silver mica cap on C1. HQ box caps used.

OP AMPS: AION specified ICs

MODS: Ross + AION ‘Attack’ toggle switch mod. I’ll install the ‘Attack’ pot once I find a right angle one.

EQUIPMENTS: Fender MetalHead & matching Fender MetalHead 4×12 cab / IBANEZ S5470Q guitar. PRS SE Korean-made Tremonti model single cut guitar. Only Aurora is connected.

TEST RESULTS: I haven’t heard nor used a Ross Compressor but I A/B’d this unit to my original 2-knob Keeley Compressor & sure enough, as I expected, Aurora does a better job than the latter and has more functionality too! I also noticed than i’m able to turn the Sustain knob to the full position with very minimal noise under normal Level setting and at stage level amp volume.

AION-designed PCBs are extremely well-thought-of & with simple & clear build instructions, making pedal building fun & easy.

Kudos to Kevin for an excellent re-design of this pedal based on the classic Ross Compressor, Dyna Comp & some Keeley mod!

Please share your build experience on the Aurora Compressor. Thanks!

Modifications or part substitutions

150pF CDE silver mica cap for C1